Baltimore Customs Marking on Cover to Canada

Baltimore Customs Marking on Cover to Canada

Postby dmui » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:02 pm

I found this cover at a recent show- I thought it was a bit unusual in that it was coming from a ship on armed guard duty to Canada with traveler's censorship.

Comments or corrections to my notes will be appreciated.

Return address of USnaval Reserve on Armed Guard duty on Liberty ship SS Geo B Selden
Cover received a CusBL02 marking dated June 28,1944 on reverse
Processed by Censor 21002 with a T2 cellophane tape and a S 12.1.10 handstamp
Cover received a US Navy postmark June 30, 1944 addressed to Toronto Ontario
Processed with Baltimore Maryland machine cancel June 30,(?) 1944
Arrival cancel Toronto Ontario July 3, 1944
Forwarded to Norland Ontario
Additional receiving cancel of Norland (date illegible)

Thanks in advance- Hope you found this item of interest. Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmui

Re: Baltimore Customs Marking on Cover to Canada

Postby dannmayo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:09 am

David sent me the following message:

Mr Luz has sent me a private message about the marking noted as S 12.1.10.

He points out that the numbering in your special study skips from 12.1.9 to 12.1.11
The S12.1.10 is noted on a similar Baltimore TC cover with a S 12.1.10 marking. I think I wrote my description based on what you had in Appendix G for a very similar cover without checking closely enough to your page 14 table.

The "RECEIVED FROM CUSTOMS" marking on my cover measures in at 44 mm- does that match your records for the cover in your Appendix G listing for Baltimore Customs?

As it happens. Mr. Luz is correct -- my listing of the RECEIVED FROM CUSTOMS handstamps on page 14 did omit S12.1.10. Haste makes mistakes -- mea culpa.

Handstamps S12.1.8 through S12.1.10 were added in Update1 (the only update) to Broderick & Mayo, published in the Dec. 1981 CCSG Bulletin, Vol. 9, pp. 41-46.

The distinguishing feature of S12.1.10 is that it uses a serifed typeface.

As nearly as I can tell (from the copy used i the update; I no lonfer own the cover in Appendix G that David mentions), the measurement of 44mm is correct.

Happily, the handstamp on David's cover has the serifed S12.1.10 handstamp.

My apologies for the omission of the S12.10.10 illustration from the original monograph.

Dann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannmayo

Postby LuzA » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 am

Good evening,

Let's see, now, what was regulated about these matters by the international postal laws:

Universal Postal Union / Buenos Aires / 1939

Art 48 - Prepayment of correspondence on board ships
Correspondence mailed on the high seas, in the box on board a vessel, or handed to postal agents on board or to the commanders of vessels, may be prepaid, barring contrary agreement between the Administrations concerned, by means of the postage stamps and according to the postage rates of the country to which the said vessel belongs or by which it is maintained. If the mailing on board take splace during the stay at one of the two terminal ports points of the voyage or at one of the ports of call, the prepayment is valid only if it is effected by means of the postage stamps and according to the postage rates of the country in whose waters the vessel happens to be.

Art 79 - Exchange of closed mails with warships
1. Closed mails may be exchanged between the post offices of any one of the contracting countries and the commanding officers of naval divisons or warships of the same country stationed abroad, or between the commanding officer of one of those naval divisons or warships and the commanding officer of another division or ship of the same country, thru the intermediary of land or sea services of other countries.
2. Correspondence of all kinds comprised in such dispatches shall be exclusively addressed to or sent by the officers and crews of the ships of destination or origin of the mails; the rates and conditions of dispatch applicable to them are determined, according to its domestic regulations, by the Postal Administration of the country to which the ships belong.

Detailed Regulations - art. 143, 4 says, in original french language of the UPU, that "Le timbrage des correspondances déposées sur les navires incombe à l'agent des postes ou à l'officier du bord chargé du service ou, à leur défault, au bureau de poste de l'escale auquel ces correspondances sont livrées à découvert. Dans ce case, le bureau les frappe de son timbre à date et y appose la mention "Navire" "Paquebot" ou toute autre analogue."
LuzA
Postal history and philatelic literature
LuzA

Postby dmui » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Acacio and Dann

Thanks for the confirmation of the Handstamps marking and the additional data on UPU requirements.

I am definitely not expert in the area of maritime mail rules but I don't remember seeing any covers originating on US Naval ship mailed on board with any indication of Paquebot- so that is all new to me.

Thanks again

Dave
dmui

Return to Travelers' Censorship in the US During WWII