WW2 POW and civil internees in India

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

WW2 POW and civil internees in India

Postby trapnelld » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:03 pm

I am a new member, primarily interested in the mails to & from civil internees & POWs in British India in WW2.
I have been examining letters from POWs to prove which camps held Italians and Germans.
I have found letters from Italians in Italian to/from Italy and one POW record card proving Italians were in each of the known 29 camps except No.18 & 21.
I have not found a single German letter to or from a POW in India.
I have seen letters from German civilian internees
Please will anyone with such material kindly send scan(s) or direct me to relevant literature?
All help will be gratefully acknowledged.
Many thanks
David (dumblescottage@pobroadband.co.uk)
trapnelld

Re: WW2 POW and civil internees in India

Postby vanderhorst » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Do you also want covers from German civilian internees or only POW's

trapnelld wrote:I am a new member, primarily interested in the mails to & from civil internees & POWs in British India in WW2.
I have been examining letters from POWs to prove which camps held Italians and Germans.
I have found letters from Italians in Italian to/from Italy and one POW record card proving Italians were in each of the known 29 camps except No.18 & 21.
I have not found a single German letter to or from a POW in India.
I have seen letters from German civilian internees
Please will anyone with such material kindly send scan(s) or direct me to relevant literature?
All help will be gratefully acknowledged.
Many thanks
David (dumblescottage@pobroadband.co.uk)
vanderhorst

Re: WW2 POW and civil internees in India

Postby viswakumar » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:44 am

I am sorry about a late reply. But I needed to check my collection.

The Italians POW's were in every camp except for camp 17 and 30. Even though Konrad records that there were Italians in camp 17 at Ramgarh ,I have not come across any Italian cover from that camp. Please put up if you have one from 17 and then my difference of opinion with Konrad would be solved.

Now regards to 18 and 21 there are plenty of examples available with me. Not many of 21 though.

Regards
Viswa
viswakumar

Return to World War II