History of Postal Censorship Dept

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

History of Postal Censorship Dept

Postby Ray Murphy » Mon May 23, 2016 12:43 am

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of "The History of the Postal and Telegraph Censorship Department, 1938-1946"?

Thanks,
Ray
Ray Murphy

Re: History of Postal Censorship Dept

Postby gmark » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello Ray
In the National Archives at Kew the reference number for the two volumes is DEFE1/333 and DEFE1/334. In all over 900 pages of octavo.
Many years ago the late Ron Wike obtained permission for CCSG to make a limited number of copies of the WWII "History"
on the basis that they were only sold to our members. The cost, if I remember correctly, was £25 plus postage.
The copy I have weighs nearly 4lbs so if I had a copy to sell the postage to USA would be almost £20.00
I wonder if the US Archives have a copy which you could access or get a copy.
Sorry I cannot be more helpful at present.
Best regards
Graham
gmark

Postby rigdonteter » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Hello, I am a new member of CCSG and am also interested in obtaining a copy of the History of the Postal and Telegraph Censorship Department, 1938-1946. Earlier this year I contacted the U.K. National Archives for a "page check" of DEFE 1/333 (Volume I of the History). Unfortunately, the price quote for a copy of the entire first volume was over 600 British Pounds.

If there was sufficient interest among the membership, would the CCSG consider doing a second printing?

Thank you!

Jen Rigdon Teter
rigdonteter

Postby Ray Murphy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the offer. Possibly when I get to the UK, but for right now I have most pages pertinent for the Caribbean copied from the APRL copy. Unfortunately, this does not circulate, but I was able to most material when I visited State College. If there is a thought of reproducing, I'd be interested. I've found that there is often material of interest listed in places other than the obvious.

Regards,
Ray
Ray Murphy

Postby dannmayo » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi Ray,

I'd start at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... /r/C302013 where they note

Ordering and viewing options

This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.
Request a quotation for a copy to be digitised or printed and sent to you.

Can't hurt to ask.

I am not aware of a US source.

Dann
dannmayo

Postby winkelmannk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Jen, Ray, Graham, Dann

History of the Postal and Telegraph Censorship Department, 1938-1946, being a UK government publication, would have been covered by Crown copyright that lasts for 50 years from the date of publication (per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_copyright#United_Kingdom) which was 1952. So, the publication fell into the public domain in 2003 and there should be no problem in reprinting. Unless you know better, they would not have a case against you if you made a copy from one of the CCSG printed versions. It would be about 225 double-sided pages.

Karl
winkelmannk

Return to World War II