Censor numbers on mail from Canada

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Censor numbers on mail from Canada

Postby CranmerJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:47 am

I have only just got into this topic as an extension of my KG6 collecton of Canada. At present I am limiting myself to mail from Canada. I have many questions but a couple for now I am sorry if these are very basic.

As far as I have been able to find out a lot of mail from Canada to Europw was censored in either Trinidad or Bermuda using English censor labels (I hope that is corect) Is there a source on line for which censor numbers were used where. If no online source is there any published literature other than

British West Indies etc. - Burrows (2010)
Canada & Newfoundland - Burrows (2010)

which I plan to get

In the UK PC66/PC90 Examiner Numbers Database in this forumn what do the numbers in the first column represent Are they just an ID number not related to the censor numbers

Also the second column is called labels / tape. Is there a source to show what these are, perhaps the books above ??

John Cranmer
CranmerJ

Re: Censor numbers on mail from Canada

Postby dannmayo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Hi,

The basic source for what numbers were used where is the PC66/90 database that you have found.

The first column shows the examiner number as it appears on the tape. Thus, the various entries numbered, for example, 484 are all tapes with the printed examiner number 484.

The second column types refer to the types of tapes on which the numbers are found. There is some mixing in of tape types from the colonial sections of the catalog, but most of the listings refer to the types of PC 90 type numbers s as assigned in the UK section of the catalog (which will be different from the type numbers assigned in the carious overseas sections e.g., Trinidad, Bermuda). So, in the listing for examiner number 484, the 1F refers to the PC90 tape type 1F as defined in the UK section, not to the Bermuda section.

Dann
dannmayo

Return to World War II