Tri lingual hand stamp

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Tri lingual hand stamp

Postby CranmerJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:16 pm

I have just aquired this cover from Camp 23. Does anyone know where the purple trilingual BY AIR MAIL/ PAR AVION / LUFTPOST hand stamp would have been applied. I have not seen this before

Camp 23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CranmerJ

Re: Tri lingual hand stamp

Postby gmark » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Hello John
Without any real knowledge of German POWs in Canada and their mail it would seem a good bet that the trilingual air mail marking would have been applied in Canada, as the postage was paid. The further question, probably the one your may have actually asked is: was it applied at the PoW Camp or at the censorship office in Ottawa?
Regards
Graham
gmark

Re: Tri lingual hand stamp

Postby CranmerJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 am

Graham

Thanks for that. I am sorry for the delay in replying but I have been out of the country for the last three weeks. Since I posted the original question I have seen a couple more of these both are from the same camp No. 23 as that in my original post so I am tending to think that they were applied at the camp. I still would like more proof though rather then rely on only three examples. I will keep looking on the "interweb"

John
CranmerJ

Return to World War II