Cover Census of Civil Censorship by Mexican Authorities.

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Cover Census of Civil Censorship by Mexican Authorities.

Postby LudemanM » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:38 am

Assistance wanted

During WW2, most outbound mail to the United States and Europe was censored by the United States, Bermuda, or the country of destination. Following Mexico's entry into the war in May 1942, the Mexican authorities apparently established their own censorship program. One initial target for this censorship was the censoring of Internee covers to the International Red Cross in Geneva. [See the related post] However, they quickly expanding this activity to include personal and business correspondence to other countries in Central and South America, primarily Argentina.

Many of these letters were double censored with a second examination in the Canal Zone or the destination country. An example follows.

MX_CEN_DF_Mexico(1943-11-20)(Censor Label Ex 750 Tape 13112 to Argentina)both.jpg

After encountering a few of these while searching for the Internee mails, I expaned the Census to include a separate second section for the civilian mails censored by Mexican authorities with their own label. These have turned out to be elusive, and I am reaching out the Forum readers for help. If you have any of these covers, please post here or contact me through the Forum and we'll work out a way for you to send high resolution scans.

Thanking all the Forum readers in advance.

Mike L.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LudemanM

Re: Cover Census of Civil Censorship by Mexican Authorities.

Postby jmgarcar » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:41 am

Good morning

This is in my US Censorship colection
Banda provisional Defensa continental y censura mexicana.jpg

Banda provisional Defensa continental y censura mexicana back.jpg

I hope this helps

Best regards

Jose M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmgarcar

Re: Cover Census of Civil Censorship by Mexican Authorities.

Postby LudemanM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:26 am

Jose M:

Thank you. This is precisely what I was looking for. :D :D

The destination "El Ateneo" was a bookstore whose correspondence was regularly censored.

The other Censors Label was from the Canal Zone.
LudemanM

Return to World War II