JAMAICA TO EGYPT

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

JAMAICA TO EGYPT

Postby belcherstephen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:40 pm

Dear Friends
I have a interesting cover which I would welcome comments
A envelope ,standard air mail envelope from Jamaica to Middle East Forces Cairo Egypt .The letter is addressed to a civilian and censored by Imperial Censor ID 8805 dated early 1944
Postage is Seven Shillings and Four pence the letter is not Registered
Steve
belcherstephen

Re: JAMAICA TO EGYPT

Postby LudemanM » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Please post a scan of the front and reverse of your cover.

Also, if you have a specific question about the cover, please describe what information you are looking for.

Mike
LudemanM

Postby belcherstephen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:46 pm

Mike

Thank you for your comment I am afraid I am unable to scan
There are two points I would like information

1 How was the cost calculated and I am afraid after further maths the cover is 7/8

2. What route would this cover taken

Steve
belcherstephen

Postby LudemanM » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Without a scan, I can only speculate. With luck, I'll say something wrong and an expert will jump in to provide the answer.

If the Censor Label has an "I.C." - usually added in pencil or pen, then it was censored at Bermuda. Otherwise it is likely a GB censor marking. Is there a "P.C. 90" at one corner of the label. Was there other censorship labels or markings?

Examiner 8805 is not listed in the DB of P.C. 90 labels used in GB and Bermuda, but obviously this one could simply not have been reported.

One possible route from there would be via Miama, FL, and FAM Route 22. If you are an APS member, you can find several articles by Ken Lawrence in their AP Journal from several years ago. That route went from Miami to South America to Africa and then eastward on to India and beyond. There would also be some split off routes from points along FAM 22 to travel to Cairo, Egypt.

An alternate to that route at this late date would be Miami to NYC and Clipper to Lisbon and then air to Cairo.

There may also have been a British direct route by air to London and then via Lisbon or somewhere to Cairo.

I have no information on Jamaica postal rates; perhaps a Commonwealth collector can jump in.

Mike
LudemanM

Postby belcherstephen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi Mike
Thanks for your comments
The censor ID 8805 is a well known Jamaican censor part of a group stationed in the island from 1941 many were used to censor transit mail from F A M 5

I feel this may have gone via the BOACc Horeshoe route but I am not sure of the route from Jamaica via this route

regards steve
belcherstephen

Return to World War II