help identify censor mark on 194 postal card

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

help identify censor mark on 194 postal card

Postby dmui » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:56 pm

Here is a January 1942 US surface rate postal card from New Jersey to Brazil with a two line rubber stamped marking "Examined By Censor No.____" with manuscript 962 inserted on the blank line.

Can anyone help me with identifying this mark. I have searched Broderick&Mayo and Burrow's Carribean volumes without success.

Thanks for any ideas or input you can share.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmui

Re: help identify censor mark on 194 postal card

Postby jmgarcar » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:13 pm

Hello all members

I have another similar in my collection that I got from D. Mayo. As Dann stated in the sale information, it is a "prototype" censor mark used in New York station ( I think in Dec.41 / Jan.42)

New York prototype censor mark.jpg

Following the B & M numbering, these two marks will be S 3.1.5 and S 3.1. 6, right?

Best regards
Jose M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jmgarcar

Re: help identify censor mark on 194 postal card

Postby dmui » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:16 am

Jose Thank you for sharing your card with a similar censor mark that was in all likely hood a provisional type as explained by Dann. I agree that if appended to the B&M numbering system these would appear to be S 3.1.5 and S 3.1.6.
I note that your card from Greece was censored by examiner 5412 which was assigned to New York City which makes sense for the probable routing of this item.

The censor number shown on my card to Brazil has an examiner number 962 inserted which was not assigned in General orders 4 and 24 of December 19 and February 2as cited in B&M. It seems that numbers 101-1000 were assigned the POW unit in Chicago under General Order 56 dated May 1, 1942 but that does not seem to make sense in the context of this card.
dmui

Return to World War II