WWII South Africa POW handstamp

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

WWII South Africa POW handstamp

Postby michaeldeery » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:24 pm

Two covers (one from the USA – June 7, 1943 and one from Italy May 19, 1943) posted to an (Italian) POW in South Africa – mail posted in 1943, and on the back of each cover is the term ‘TRANSFERRED FROM SOUTH AFRICA (with no indication as to when the marking was applied). Since there were so many POWs in South Africa, some had to be moved to another location outside South Africa – either to Canada or maybe to the UK. My question is: what happened to the two covers? (1) were they held in South Africa until the end of the war? (2) were they forward to the intended recipient at a new location outside South Africa or (3) were they returned to the sender – eventually??

I can’t read what was pencilled in on the back of the Italian cover, but it does seem the date is 3/4/44 and on the front 24/3/44. No pencilled date markings on the US cover.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaeldeery

Re: WWII South Africa POW handstamp

Postby michaeldeery » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:31 pm

An update on the “Transferred from Africa” covers. Apparent to me that the Internee reached POW camp 26 in SA, but because of overcrowding (or some other reason) the POW was transferred to a POW camp outside SA (Camp 96).

When mail arrived at the 1st destination (camp 26 in SA), two different agents processed the mail (different initials on the two envelopes), and the mail was sent to the POW in Camp 96.

The “T” might stand for “Transfer” number.

When the mail was forwarded to Camp 96, when received on one cover dates were pencilled in which might indicate when received – 24th March 1944 & 3rd of April 1944. (notes for both covers?)

So the question remains – where was camp 96?
michaeldeery

Re: WWII South Africa POW handstamp

Postby gmark » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Hello Michael
Peter Burrows, our auctioneer, is a good authority on PoW camps. He has over the past two years published, in the Forces Postal History Soc Journal, lists of camps by number .
Camp 96 in England was at Rugely Staffordshire. In his lists Peter did not go as far as Canada or South Africa (so far) but I expect he has data on those countries as well as UK, North Africa and Middle East which I have seen.
Peter is on holiday at present but I will alert him to your query and I hope he can assist when he returns.

Derek Tomlin (CCSG member) also produced lists in a booklet "World War II PoW and Internment Camps" (undated but at least 20 years ago). Besides UK he listed camps in Kenya, Tanganikya, Egypt, S Rhodesia, S Africa, India, Sudan, Palestine and Samaliland. No #96 in any of those countries.

All the best
Graham
gmark

Return to World War II