1915 censor in Sonora, Mexico

A place to discuss items of censored mail from other periods

1915 censor in Sonora, Mexico

Postby dannmayo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:39 pm

[attachment=0]Sonora003.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]Sonora003.jpg[/attachment]There was a little civil war going on in the State of Sonora at this time, part of the larger, ongoing Mexican revolution. The illustrated manuscript resealing tape appears on a cover from Magdalena to Nogales in April, 1915. The question of course is whether it is legitimate, or a later philatelic enhancement. Can anyone shed any light on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannmayo

Re: 1915 censor in Sonora, Mexico

Postby gmark » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Hello again
We had an article in CCSG Bulletiin in April 2002, (edition #134, Vol 29, p63) but unfortunately it was indexed wrongly as between the wars rather than as WWI period.
The article sprang from a display I saw by Richard Saudry, so I asked him for the piece.
The items he illustrated in the article have printed labels to close them and they were returned to sender.
In the article the author referred to other articles he had written in 'Stamp Lover' in 1998. I think I have copies of these and will search them out and send them to you if they look promising.
Best regards
Graham
gmark

Postby gmark » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:31 pm

Me again
I have read Richard Saundry's two part article in 'Stamp Lover' of 1998. The article was titled "Collecting Dead Letters of the Mexican Revolution". Other than a brief mention that he has some covers with censor labels there is nothing of much interest to a censorship collector.
I have also had a look at Wolter KK vol 1. Mexico is not mentioned.
Graham
gmark

Postby dannmayo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:00 am

Sonora1915CC.jpg

Collyer Church has reported an example of a manuscript censor tape -- probably in the same hand as my example -- on cover from Nogales to Magdalena, 28 April 1915 (the reverse direction of mine). In my opinion, this gives considerable support to the idea that this is a legitimate censor tape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannmayo

Postby LudemanM » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I recently encountered an example of this same type of censor label, which I will post here for completeness. Dae of arrival in Magdalena appears to be July 29, 1915.

Mike
LudemanM

Return to Other censorships or suspensions