INDIA WWI BOMBAY CENSOR SEAL

Cataloging censor wax seals of all countries, all time periods, found on civilian mail. NOTE: By default, topics are listed in reverse date order of posting. To render the list in alphabetical order, change the Sort By settings below the topics listing to Subject and Ascending.

INDIA WWI BOMBAY CENSOR SEAL

Postby robertgray » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Would be interested to know if other seals at Bombay were used or if other censor offices used wax seals.
This question relates only to WWI material. The attachments show a cover posted at Calcutta, censored at Bombay with wax seal and sent to Boston MA USA. Sender had requested via Pacific Route but did not get it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robertgray

Re: INDIA WWI BOMBAY CENSOR SEAL

Postby dannmayo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your entry in this project.

My single WWI India wax seal appears to be the same as yours. Scans attached. Between our 2 examples, there is a use period of over 2 years. This points to the initial scarcity of such seals, and their relative delicacy.

I took a look at Baker: A Catalogue of Indian Censorship 1914-1920 and found no wax seals there. Ditto for the much more superficial listing (1 page) of WWI Indian censors in Wolter: Die Postzensur.

Dann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannmayo

Postby krishnanh » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Robert,

The attached registered cover from Penang to Karaikudi, censored in Madras with Baker Type MH 3 hand stamp and a wax censor seal.

Hope this will be an additional entry to your list of wax seals from Bombay, Rangoon and Belgaum.
Last edited by krishnanh on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krishnanh

Postby krishnanh » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi Dann,

Attaching the close up scans of Madras wax censor seals for your database.

Thanks.
krishnanh

Postby robertgray » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Krishnanh and Dann: Thank you for the scans of Madras and Bombay wax censor seals. I apologize for not responding sooner.
I should definitely check the board more frequently.
robertgray

Return to Civil Censor Wax Seals