Turks Islands or Jamaica

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Turks Islands or Jamaica

Postby WaldronP » Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:04 am

I have a registered cover sent from Grand Turk to British Columbia in May 1945, with a blurred hexagonal censor stamp (Crown PASSED), which looks like D/43? Back stamps includes Jamaica registered ds 4th July 1945. Would the censor label have been applied in Jamaica and is it likely to have been D/43?
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WaldronP

Re: Turks Islands or Jamaica

Postby GibbonsB » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:31 pm

I'm not sure this answers your question but per Peter Burrows, (2016) the handstamp you show is associated with Turks and Caicos and he notes:
"Because only numbers between 40 and 45 inclusive were used in the two sub-stations it appears likely that censorship was carried out in the dependency concerned although the view has been expressed that censorship may have been carried out in Jamaica. Those items bearing both Turks and Caicos and Jamaica labels show D43 only on the label likely to have been used in the dependency"

I would be interested in reading the current view of this from those many who are more knowledgeable than me.
GibbonsB

Return to World War II